What is Teleport?
Gravitational Teleport (“Teleport”) is a modern SSH server for remotely
accessing clusters of Linux servers via SSH or HTTPS. It is intended to
be used instead of sshd.
Teleport enables teams to easily adopt the best SSH practices like:
- Integrated SSH credentials with your organization Google Apps identities or
other OAuth identitiy providers.
- No need to distribute keys: Teleport uses certificate-based access with
automatic expiration time.
- Enforcement of 2nd factor authentication.
- Cluster introspection: every Teleport node becomes a part of a cluster
and is visible on the Web UI.
- Record and replay SSH sessions for knowledge sharing and auditing purposes.
- Collaboratively troubleshoot issues through session sharing.
- Connect to clusters located behind firewalls without direct Internet access
via SSH bastions.
Teleport is built on top of the high-quality Golang SSH
implementation and it is compatible with OpenSSH.
Why We Built Teleport?
Mature tech companies with significant infrastructure footprints tend to
implement most of these patterns internally. Teleport allows smaller
companies without significant in-house SSH expertise to easily adopt them,
Being a complete standalone tool, Teleport can be used as a software library
enabling trust management in complex multi-cluster, multi-region scenarios
across many teams within multiple organizations.
Teleport comes with an accesible Web UI and a very permissive Apache
2.0 license to facilitate adoption and use.
Who Built Teleport?
Teleport was created by Gravitational Inc. We built Teleport by borrowing from
our previous experiences at Rackspace. It has been extracted from Gravity,
our hardened “Kubernetes on Autopilot” system for helping our customers to deploy
and remotely manage their SaaS applications in multiple AWS regions or even
behind-firewall on-premise environments.
The best way to contribute is to create issues or pull requests on Github.
Or you can reach out directly to the Gravitational team via [email protected]
If you’re interested in adding features you need to Teleport, or/and in
the commercial support, take a look at the FAQ question about
this or fill out the form below.