What is Teleport?
Gravitational Teleport is a gateway for managing access to clusters of Linux servers via SSH or the Kubernetes API. It is intended to be used instead of traditional OpenSSH for organizations that need to:
- Secure their infrastructure and comply with security best-practices and regulatory requirements.
- Have complete visibility into activity happening across their infrastructure.
- Reduce the operational overhead of privileged access management across both traditional and cloud-native infrastructure.
Teleport gives teams that manage infrastructure access:
- The ability to manage trust between teams, organizations and data centers.
- Certificate based authentication instead of static keys.
- SSH access into behind-firewall environments without any open ports.
- Role-based access control (RBAC) for SSH.
- A single tool ("pane of glass") to manage RBAC for both SSH and Kubernetes.
- SSH audit log with session recording/replay.
- Kubernetes audit log, including the recording of interactive commands executed via
- The same workflows and ease of that they get with familiar
Teleport is available through the free, open source edition ("Teleport Community Edition") or a commercial edition ("Teleport Enterprise Edition").
Below is a brief summary of the documentation available here.
The Community Edition is on Github if you want to dive into the code. This documentation is also available in the Github repository, so feel free to create an issue or pull request if you have comments.
- Quickstart Guide - A quick tutorial to show off the basic capabilities of Teleport. A good place to start if you want to jump right in.
- Teleport Architecture - This section covers the underlying design principles of Teleport and a detailed description of Teleport architecture. A good place to learn about Teleport's design and how it works.
- User Manual - This manual expands on the Quickstart and provides end users with all they need to know about how to use Teleport.
- Admin Manual - This manual covers installation and configuration of Teleport and the ongoing management of Teleport.
- FAQ - Common questions about Teleport.
Teleport Enterprise is built around the open-source core in Teleport Community, with the added benefits of role-based access control (RBAC) and easy integration with identity managers for single sign-on (SSO). Because the majority of documentation between the Community and Enterprise Editions overlap, we have separated out the documentation that is specific to Teleport Enterprise.
- Teleport Enterprise Introduction - Overview of the additional capabilities of Teleport Enterprise.
- Teleport Enterprise Quick Start - A quick tutorial to show off the basic capabilities of Teleport Enterprise. A good place to start if you want to jump right in.
- RBAC for SSH - Details on how Teleport Enterprise provides Role-based Access Controls (RBAC) for SSH.
- SSO for SSH - Overview on how Teleport Enterprise works with external identity providers for single sign-on (SSO).
We also have several guides that go through the most typical configurations and integrations.
- Okta Integration - How to integrate Teleport Enterprise with Okta.
- ADFS Integration - How to integrate Teleport Enterprise with Active Directory.
- One Login Integration - How to integrate Teleport Enterprise with One Login.
- OIDC Integration - How to integrate Teleport Enterprise with identity providers using OIDC/OAuth2.
- Kubernetes Integration - How to configure Teleport to serve as a unified gateway for Kubernetes clusters and clusters of regular SSH nodes.
Teleport is made by Gravitational. We hope you enjoy using Teleport. If you have comments or questions, feel free to reach out to the Gravitational Team: [email protected].